You could conceivably pull the Radiant layout into your other app, but it's not going to get you much without the parsing framework of Radiant. The Radius tags embedded in the layout are very specific to Radiant's content model and you would spend a lot of time parsing or modifying them to work in your Rails app. The point of share_layouts is to bridge the gap between custom Rails functionality and Radiant's parsing framework; the tradeoff is that your Rails stuff should be created as an extension to Radiant. I believe you'll find that you won't lose much if you choose to do that. Your other option is to maintain separate layouts for your Rails app and for your Radiant installation.

Sean

Luca g. Soave wrote:
Many posts are already appeared about integrating radiant and rails
distinct apps,
anyway here my needs are simpler: run them in parallel and call the
radiant layout ( snippets, layouts and pages ) from the other rails app
embedding the radiant views components. What is the better way to go ?

For what I've understood about Creating_an_extension_VI tutorial, the
share_layouts extension is installed inside "Radiant app" and permits to
call radiant_layout 'Normal' within the new extention controller, which
means to me, "not outside radiant".

Is that possible calling the radiant_layout from an external rails app?
Are there
other plugins to have a look ?

I've also thought to dump the layout on the file system via
"file_system_extension" that produce a ~/radiant_app/design/layouts,
pages and snippets dir tree. Then point the rails app to the radiant
design dumped filesystem to load.

Untill now I "get the job done" by hacking css, erb and partials
manually into the rails app, but I'm looking for a cleaner, manageable
and dry way.

Do you please know a better way to go ?
thz in advance
lgs