At the moment, the extension doesn't play very well with subversion, so be aware of this if you choose to add the design directory to a svn repository. The reason has to do with subversion placing a hidden .svn directory inside every directory that is under version control. Any scm system that doesn't do this (such as git) should play fine with the file_system extension. I plan on addressing this issue, but haven't decided on the best strategy yet.
Drew,

Andrew vonderLuft and I are using this with SVN and haven't run into that problem. Is this a problem only with pages?