On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Sean Cribbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It looks like you *should* just be able to do this in your local
>> repository:
>>
>>  git svn rebase  # pull trunk changes from svn
>>  git svn dcommit # push git changes to svn
>>  git push        # push to remote repository (github)
>>
>> But there are a zillion caveats in the docs, so that may or may not work
>> so well in practice with github.  It sounds like you're better off keeping a
>> local repository that's used for nothing but the git-svn syncing:
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

Thanks, Jay. I think it may be a little more simple than that... I'm just
looking for a one-way update from SVN to git.

> Back in the spring when we were just trying out git and meanwhile
> maintaining the SVN repo, things got a little tedious and unpredictable to
> keep the SVN up-to-date, especially with changes that weren't done to my
> local git-svn repo.  It's better to keep one or the other, if possible.

Sounds like the tedium is in updating a SVN repo with changes made in a git
repo. I'm somewhat averse to SVN (mostly because I've just never learned how
to use it), and I really love git. My SnS repos at github are there merely
for the convenience of having the SnS extensions as git submodules. If I can
work out a simple git macro to pull changes from the SVN repo (sounds
like git-svn
rebase would do it) and push changes to my github repo, then I'm just a
cronjob away from keeping these repos in sync.

This particular problem will go away when git becomes accessible enough to
Chris Parrish, and all of the SnS extensions move to github.

--
Tim