Very odd. All ResponseCache settings are the defaults. I even rebooted the server and still encountered the phantom snippet. When I finally got over the magic of it all, I dumped the db, loaded the dump file locally and could see the snippet in there. Taking what I found in there (namely the snippet code that I'd long since forgot) I just created a new snippet (on the live site) of the exact same name with no validation errors; so no more missing snippet and still no broken pages. Looking at the logs I can see visitors using pages that would require that snippet error free since forever. Who knows what freaky mysql gremlins are at work.