Like svn:externals, you can maintain a submodule in a project, commit to it and push it while maintaining the parent project. However, whenever you've changed something in the submodule, it's necessary to go back up to the parent project, commit the submodule directory, and possibly do `git submodule init` and `git submodule update` (I don't know if that's strictly necessary, but I like to do it to be certain). That will make sure that the next time your parent project is checked out, it will get the latest submodule version.

Sean

Chris Parrish wrote:
Trying to get up to speed with a Git workflow and I have some questions about working with extensions.

If I have a radiant project A that uses someone else's extensions B, C, and D. I understand that I can create a repo for radiant project A set up all the extensions as submodules (if they're all in git repos).

If, on the other hand, I'm developing extension B, I could set up a dummy project A (no repo), and set up B, C, and D as independent, parallel repos. No submodules. With B being the one I'm working on, managing, branching, etc. of course.

But what if I'm developing extension B along with project A? If you edit code within a submodule B, there's no way to send those changes back to the original B repo (or use branching, or other git tools) on B is there? Git isn't really tracking your changes on B is it?

Is there some way to handle this development situation or am I just going about this wrong?

Is piston or braid an option here and if so, is anyone using it successfully?

Thanks,

-Chris Parrish