With a few exceptions (links and form stuff like 'mailer'), it's my opinion that your Radius tags should not generate markup, but should assist you in generating markup. Putting too much markup in a tag definition is a bad code smell; it also makes them harder to test.

That said, that kind of configuration option sounds like more of a hassle than a benefit. Maybe you could get the extension authors to modify the extension(s) or do the github thing and fork it and change it yourself.

Sean

Jeffrey Jones wrote:
   Hello all,

At the moment it seems the Radiant ecosystem is setup to generate XHTML tags (paperclipped comes to mind).

As I am going to make my site HTML 4.01 this presents something of a nuisance. I can easily alter the paperclipped code to output HTML but that is fixing a symptom and not addressing a core issue.

Would it be possible to include a standard RadiantConfig option to specify the output format of tags? If a standardised config option was chosen then all extensions that output HTML/XHTML code could then check the option and output the correct tags for the given specification.

Naturally it would default to the current XHTML code but it would offer a bit of flexibility. Note that I am talking only about the main site code. The admin system can whatever it likes.

What do you guys think?

RJ