i've been using the old x-sendfile patch on nginx and mongrel for about a
year with no blank page issues. after setting up an edge 0.7 in a virtual
machine i was able to run nginx and thin in production mode with no blank
pages in well over a million requests through ab (assuming those blank pages
would report their size differently than the page that was supposed to be
served).