I'm finally getting around to looking at the template that Sean uses for
blogging:

http://pastie.org/273417

(Hmm.. pastie seems broken at the moment.)

Some questions:

1. The root page (/) and the /Articles page are effectively identical.  Is
there a reason one couldn't just render the other?  I realize that the
/Articles page gives you the the nicety of collapsing all articles in the
admin tree view.  Is there any other reason for it to have a separate existence?

2. The root page has three body parts: body, navLeft, and navRight.[1]  The
Articles page, and its children, the actual blog entries, have only the
"body" part.  They all use the "Normal" layout, which renders all three
parts; the children have no navLeft or navRight, so it gets inherited from
the root page.

Something about this bugs me, but I can't quite articulate what it is.  It
seems like there should be a more elegant way to achieve the nav sidebars -
yet the separation of concerns sounds logical when I explain it out loud...
maybe it's just that children pages shouldn't be able to override the
sidebars, or that the sidebars really feel like a layout function, not a
page content function?  I don't know.

Anyone have any similar musings, or alternative ways to do it?  I suppose I
could move the nav bars into snippets, called by the layout...

Jay Levitt

[1] I may have renamed those; I can't remember the original.  There was
probably also an "extended" part.