Steven,

Attachments can be inherited from parent pages. So if you attach an image to your Home page, then it will be available to all pages, layouts and snippets.

Page attachments is a bit fussy: when you ask for a file that doesn't belong to the current page (or its ancestors) it raises an exception. It could be dangerous if you were to call <r:attachment name="image.jpg"/> in a snippet or layout. If that snippet/layout was called from a page which didn't have "image.jpg" attached, and nor did any of its ancestors, then an exception would be raised, and the page would not render. However, if you attached a "image.jpg" file to the home page, then it would be available to every page in the site, and the problem above would be avoided.

Of course, you could attach an "image.jpg" file to any section. Then that section, and all its ancestors would use that file instead of the one attached to the home page.

Does that make sense? The inheritance mechanism means that you can treat page attachments in a similar fashion to page parts. When you look at it that way, it should no longer seem necessary to be able to attach files to snippets and layouts.

Cheers,
Drew