Mostly correct, yes.
For now you can ignore your #2, if I can figure out #1 I should be good
to go.
For #1, Ideally I would like to have a snippet that handles putting the
urls together. I know where in my hierarchy news pages will be, but I
wont necessarily know when someone has added a new project with news.  I
would be easier to be able to do:

{pseudocode}<r:find url="projects"><r:children:each><if has child url
matches /news/ return url></r:children:each></r:find>

if that is not possible, but having a page "HOME" with a page part
"news_urls" /news;/project1/news;/project2/news;

and then saying
<r:aggregate urls='<r:find url="/home"><r:content
part="news_urls"/></r:find></r:aggregate>

would be sufficient.

Thanks,
Chaim