Jeff,

Sorry it took me awhile to check on your suggestions...

My RubyGem version is: 1.3.5

I wasn't sure what "irb" was so I went diggin' through one of my ROR
books...  you get irb running via script/console... when I run that I get

/Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:138:in `load_rubygems':
> undefined method `>=' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
>     from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:100:in
> `load_initializer'
>     from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:61:in `run'
>     from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:19:in `boot!'
>     from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:161:in `<top
> (required)>'
>     from script/console:2:in `require'
>     from script/console:2:in `<main>'

I also tried running script/console --sandbox which didn't change anything.
My other Rails apps I've built for the purposes of learning have worked
fine.  For some reason Radiant is being cranky.

Again, I appreciate your time and effort...

--
Jason Bray