Jason,

Open a Terminal window and type: irb
That's irb. (Type exit or quit end it)
script/console is similar, but it does it within the Rails environment for your application.

Going back to Jeff's original request:

run "gem -v", what do you get back?

Have you opened a Terminal and typed: gem -v

If it doesn't say "1.3.1", try this
http://blog.libinpan.com/2008/04/update-rubygems-to-new-version-on-leopard/

-Jim

On Aug 11, 2009, at 8:18 PM, Jason Bray wrote:

Jeff,

Sorry it took me awhile to check on your suggestions...

My RubyGem version is: 1.3.5

I wasn't sure what "irb" was so I went diggin' through one of my ROR
books... you get irb running via script/console... when I run that I get

/Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:138:in `load_rubygems':
undefined method `>=' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
   from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:100:in
`load_initializer'
   from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:61:in `run'
   from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:19:in `boot!'
   from /Users/jaybray/Sites/example/config/boot.rb:161:in `<top
(required)>'
   from script/console:2:in `require'
   from script/console:2:in `<main>'

I also tried running script/console --sandbox which didn't change anything. My other Rails apps I've built for the purposes of learning have worked
fine.  For some reason Radiant is being cranky.

Again, I appreciate your time and effort...

--
Jason Bray