I've tried creating a new rails project (2.3.4) from scratch and can
send smtp email from that using the action_mailer_optional_tls plugin.
I  see the helo transaction in the production.log and also receive the
emails.

I am still a bit clueless as to where I am going wrong with radiant
mailer extension though.

I have tried adding the plugin to the unpacked vendor/radiant/vendor/
plugins directory and the vendor/plugins dir. Neither seems to work.

Where exactly are the actionmailer settings supposed to go? In the
environment.rb Initializer block or config.after_initialize? or in
production.rb?

I've also had a look in the mail_controller.rb and altered the if mail
send block and edited it to show something like

     if mail.send
        redirect_to (config[:redirect_to] || "#...@page.url}#mail_sent")
     else
        render :text => 'FAIL'
     end

Which indicates it is not working correctly.

This is my mailer:

subject: Newsletter
from_field: webs...@****.co.uk
redirect_to: /contact/thank-you
recipients:
   - d...@****.co.uk

These are my working actionmailer settings for the rails project
(which don't seem do anything in radiant):

ActionMailer::Base.perform_deliveries = true
ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp
ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
:tls => true,
:address => "smtp.gmail.com",
:port => "587",
:domain => "whitespace-brand",
:authentication => :plain,
:user_name => "d...@****.co.uk",
:password => "****"
}

As I still can't see any errors, does anyone know what might be
failing and where? Or have any suggestions as to common errors I can
look in to?

Thanks,

Dominic