On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Brian Wolf <brw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I  was wondering if  you might update your dreamhost install
> directions, as  radiant is an installed "gem".

on my dreamhost ps the system radiant gem is version 0.6.9 which is
more than a year out of date and probably won't work with lots of
extensions; certainly new extensions are not targeting 0.6.x and even
old extensions that get updates have probably dropped 0.6.x support by
now.

> Do I still need  to install my own "gems"?

if you want to run a current version of radiant and/or have any
control over the environment yes you should install your own gems.

> These configuration issues seem to get in the way of my eval.

then ignore "these configuration issues" and do as was suggested by
others and do your evaluation on your local computer. trying to
evaluate anything on dreamhost's notoriously crappy platform seems
like an unnecessary pain to put yourself through.

if you must do the evaluation on a remote server have a look at
http://heroku.com/ you can get started for free and their platform is
actually built to run ruby applications.