This is how we work, often we have multiple developers working on a
single project

Everyone has there own local dev env

We usually have a staging env and a production env

layouts and snippets live in svn we use the file_system extension to
import them into the database on deploy, we scoped file_system to only
include snippets and layouts, content (pages) does not live in svn as
clients usually need to be able to update these, we have a few cap
tasks to sync data/assets from staging or production to our local
machines.

We keep all js and css in the public folder, and do not manage them
inside radiant, it seems more natural this way. The same thing goes
for using the file_system extension for layouts and snippets, its much
nicer to store these in the design folder and code in a text editor
then it is to code in a browser textbox.

Although we usually only have a few people working on a site, we could
have 5 sometimes more people working on the same site at once and this
approach has worked well for us for a number of years now.