The problem was, that I set the path using assets.s3.path instead of
assets.path.
No wonder it created the whole path, since it defaults to this one:
:path => Radiant::Config["assets.path"] ?
Radiant::Config["assets.path"] : ":rails_root/
public/:class/:id/:basename:no_original_style.:extension"

Cheers,
Phil