On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Haselwanter Edmund
<edm...@haselwanter.com> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm thinking on merging some of my radiant sites into one instance of radiant
> with the multi-site or the vhost extension.
> Could somebody come up with a brief explanation of the differences of the two?

MultiSite
It runs all sites for all users. If you have access to one you have
access to all (although there are forks out there that may change
that)
A site belongs_to a homepage (no change to the pages table data, but
you still need to change other tables)

Vhost
You specifically add user access to each site, so users are restricted
by default.
A site has_many pages (site_id added to pages and any other models)

With multi-site (which I haven't used much) as far as I am aware you
need to make changes to extensions to get them to lookup information
based upon the "current site".
In Vhost, it uses an around filter on your controllers to scope all
necessary activerecord queries to the current_site. So you can add an
extension which does not have multisite support, run a rake task to
add a column (after updating a vhost.yml file) and you're good to go.
The addition of the sheets extension complicated things a bit for
vhost and I'm working through that (don't recall if I've pushed any
changes yet).

But I'm working through these ideas before I start working on them in
the core. Will Ross (spanner) has also been working with a Sites
extension. And Josh French at Digital Pulp has done a lot of work with
multi-site.

I like the approach of vhost because it's hands off. If you want some
extension to be scoped by site then you make it so with a
configuration file. That might not be the best long-term approach, but
it makes it easy to use any extension out there for your multiple site
setup.

I've recently been adding the ability to better manage multiple
domains per site in vhost, but much of the changes aren't done on a
strictly test-first philosophy (which I really should change).

What initially sold me on the ideas in vhost was that users were
restricted by default and that I didn't need to use the multi-site
fork of paperclipped. If I wanted paperclipped with vhost I just use
it.

> And if I can recall it correctly I read about some changes to core so it
> would be easier to enable radiant for multiple sites in one radiant instance.
> Is there something going on in this direction?

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately, but not applied
anything to radiant core. Feedback and ideas are welcome.
I want to work on vhost more as well as multi-site so that I'll know
the benefits and drawbacks before adding anything to the core. But we
have discussed taking the philosophy of multi-site that out of the box
radiant does not restrict users from other sites; it would be up to an
extension to add that.

--
Jim Gay
Saturn Flyer LLC