Haselwanter Edmund said the following on 09/10/2010 08:48 AM:

> On 10.09.2010, at 14:03, Anton J Aylward wrote:
>
>> Haselwanter Edmund said the following on 09/10/2010 07:35 AM:
>>>
>>> you did not answer my questions:
>>>
>>> what does (on the terminal)
>>>
>>> $ gem env
>>
>> I did that.
>> My thread was about problems with being unable to start after a
>> Dreamhost upgrade to 64-bit and a conversion to RedCloth-4.2.3
>
> maybe a 64 / 32 bit problem? I don't know about Dreamhost upgrades. Did you
> do a update or a new install?
> If its a update with the same storage you might need to re-install your gems
> (as native extensions are compiled for the platform ...)

In that the compiled component of RedCloth had been compiled for 32-bit,
yes.  But as I said in my post, I reinstalled the gem and recompiled.
And updated the gems.  Go re-read all the details in the archives.

>>> output look like?
>>>
>>> $ gem list
>>>
>>> output look like?
>>>
>>> can you start irb and require something?
>>>
>>> $ irb

>>> => true
>>
>> Doesn't that assume radiant-as-a-gem or something?
>
> hm. you are not running of the radiant gem? did you do a app install? why?
> 'cause you are on edge?

No, 'cos I'm running variously 0.6.9 and 0.8.1
and did an app install to get around other problems that existed then.

Will I update?
Not before I've replicated on my development machine and have confidence
in 0.9x and someone sorts out the problems that seem to exist in
RedCloth-4.3.2.

What problems?  Well when I rolled back from 4.3.2 to 4.1.1 everything
ran fine....   Hello Mr Garber?  Do you want to talk about this or not?

>> I ask because when I run that on sites I have that *do* work I get
>>

>> [laney:/home/antonaylward/SystemI]$ irb
>> irb(main):001:0> require 'radiant'
>> LoadError: no such file to load -- radiant
>>        from (irb):2:in `require'
>>        from (irb):2
>>
>> Lets not forget, however, that this is going to behave very differently
>> depending on the context in which I run it.
>
> sure. I wanted you to check if your user account is set up right

Since it runs a site fine, I think it must be :-)

> (so when you install the radiant gem you really get it)
> this differs for the user radiant (or better apache with passenger ...)
> and a lot of other stuff, I know

Such as I run at Dreamhost....

>> Why? Because the code that
>> makes up radiant redefines Kernel#require.   Go check.  That's what
>> 'custom_require' is all about.  That was what the now obsolete but
>> rather more obvious 'require_gem' was about.
>
> yes. and with old gem installs you needed to load rubygems before that. I
> know this.

It helps if you say that at the start :-)

I keeps saying, in fact I'm so famous for it that people say "As Anton
keeps saying ..."

        Context is Everything

--
  out of memory