Hi Wes,

I've ran into a similar issue/problem. Radiant is great and all,
except for when it comes down to end-user auth stuff. I wish it was
like Drupal's ACL in this respect.

As per Jim's remarks, avoid option a). Since Radiant development is a
moving target, you may end up with auth system that will not work with
future releases. Tried it, didn't like this approach.

I was involved in a project(can't speak of details), which required
delivering customized content.
I originally tried devise, which I've used in projects that are not
Radiant-based and loved it.
After spending a few days with it I was unable to make it work with
Radiant so I gave up. Wes, I think we had an email convo about this.

Luckily the requirements and the types of users needed for the project
were simple enough that I was able to use authlogic along with
examples from existing extensions (reader in particular, thank you
spanner) to come up with a working system. However, this was an ugly
ugly auth system.
I also prefer using a separate table for end-users (e.g. members or
subscribers) to keep site admins/editors away from content-consumers
as much as possible so as to avoid accidental permission escalation.

I think having a standard auth system for content-consumers is a must
have for any great CMS. One that supports ACLs or roles would be even
better. I certainly hope that Radiant gets one soon.

I'd be interested in collaboration to develop such a system.

Would love to get more insight from the core Radiant developers on
this topic.

--
swartz