I'd like to do what you suggest and perhaps I am going about it the
wrong way.  I thought what you were suggesting below was creating a
local gem build of the radiant rails3 branch and then unpacking that
in a 'lib/radiant' directory within the project I am working in.  Is
that what you were suggesting or something different?

I tried doing what I just described, and I got an error trying to run
rake.  Here's what I did:

mario:(git)radiant[mario-rails3]/$ rake -P | grep gem
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- dataset/tasks
/Users/mario/tmp/radiant/radiant/Rakefile:7

I had a look in the Rakefile and saw that on line 7, it is trying to
require 'dataset/tasks'.  There isn't a dataset directory with a
tasks.rb file anywhere that could find in the project.  Do I need to
have something else in place to have the rail3 branch working?  I was
hoping that all I needed to do was: rake radiant:gem and have the
local branch built into a gem that I could unpack in my project (per
your suggestion), but it seems that creating a gem from the branch
isn't working out of the box (unless there is another way to do it).

--Mario