An interesting note:

ImageMagick is included by default on the Heroku "bamboo" (Phusion REE 1.8.7) stack, since assets uploading "just works" on Heroku.

(I'm embarrassed to say that I just realized this even though have been successfully uploading assets (on 0.9.1) on Radiant on Heroku for months.)

ffmpeg is definitely not there, and I'm guessing ghostscript isn't either.

I'll dig into the Heroku side of things about any opportunities to customize those system level things, but in case it comes up...

Wes