I have the compass gem installed, and also in my Gemfile (just to make sure, I re-added the "config.gem 'compass'" line to my environment.rb and got the same results), and I've added this initializer to my config/initializers directory:

require 'fileutils'
FileUtils.mkdir_p(Rails.root.join("tmp", "stylesheets"))

Sass::Plugin.options[:template_location] = (Rails.root + 'public' + 'stylesheets' + 'sass').to_s

require 'compass'
require 'compass/app_integration/rails'
Compass::AppIntegration::Rails.initialize!

When I attempt to edit a page I get the following error:

Syntax error: Undefined mixin 'box-shadow'
on line 6 of public/stylesheets/sass/admin/assets.sass

This rung a bell for me of something that I had to do to the old SNS plugin, which is here, but not sure if it's related:

https://github.com/weyus/radiant-sns-sass-filter-extension/commit/61afab239f2153063f87e511d4ea5c62861954ef

I doubt this is relevant, but thought it best to mention.

Thanks,
Wes