I assume you're using the 1.0 release candidate, and therefore the new asset
manager extension?

I've seen this with transparent PNG, too. The paperclipped created thumbnails
didn't have transparent areas but instead black background. Radiant itself
shouldn't change the file that you're uploading but will use imagemagick to
create variants with other dimensions.

Do you use an attribute "size" with the tag r:asset:image? Try without it.

Regards,

Christian