Hi Walter, thanks for the reply.
I guess it would have been helpful to include the output of /log/
production.rb. Sorry - my bad...there was nothing of note in it
before, however, and after adjusting the log level as you suggest, I
see the same messages:

Processing Admin::MembersController#index (for 184.64.72.242 at
2011-09-12 20:19:58) [GET]
  Parameters: {"action"=>"index", "controller"=>"admin/members"}
Rendering template within layouts/application
Rendering admin/members/index
Completed in 62ms (View: 51, DB: 3) | 200 OK [http://
afj.freshwatercreative.ca/admin/members]

A 200 code suggests to me that the rails app is not erring, and that
the issue is gem related or passenger config related, but I am totally
grasping at straws... likely straws, but straws the same.

As far as scaffolding a barebones rails app, good call! I will do this
to test, but I am 99% sure I have passenger working already, it's
serving up every page on the front end of the site, and every page in
the backend, save /admin/members. Still, for the amount of time it
takes, it's a worthwhile test.

Will post results once that is accomplished, and thank you for your
help so far!

PS - Out of curiosity (because I didn't see any examples of this in
the wild) - has anyone successfully gotten RC2 and member extension
working with a passenger setup? Or am I kinda in uncharted waters?

-James