I tend to install RVM on production servers to be able to use Rubies that
are not part of the underlying OS. Often system tools are depend on Ruby,
too, and if system ruby is 1.8.7, things could break if you simply replaced
it with 1.9. Having said that, I install rvm, my Ruby of choice inside it
and start having bundler and passenger in the "global" gemset. nginx is (as
a non-system package) installed into /opt as passenger suggests.

Each app is deployed using a separate user account, thus in a home
directory of its own, with bundler keep independent copies of needed gems
for that app. Like that, a number of apps can happily run in parallel.
Regards,

Christian