Thanks Sam. I have not worked with Linode, but have heard good things. I
hope this project will give me some exposure to their services. Any
suggestions on copying the stuff I need. I guess just SCP?

Also, do you have any suggestions on a way for me to stage any changes I
make to the clients website so they would have a change to preview them
before I make changes on the actual server?

I am used to working in a heroku/git environment, so I am fleshing out
exactly the best work to make changes to the clients site.