...thanx Sam, I agree the best approach will be to simply copy locally
and make the changes on my local box. I am just not crazy about
manually coping changes from my local box to the prod server once I
have decided to implement them.

Not familiar with Heroku? Shame on you! Seriously, you should check
out.