OK so this is now sorted thanks to Benny Degezelle of Monkeypatch. Benny
has put together an extension called
radiant-find_by_id_tag-extension
https://github.com/jomz/radiant-find_by_id_tag-extension

A demo of how it works is found here
https://youtu.be/F2nEtlWjBWE

the radius tag is <r:find id="1234"/> so a link could look like <r:find
id="1234"><r:url/></r:find> which allows you to shift pages around the
tree without breaking the link.