> Hi John,
>
> On Feb 20,  1:30pm, Internet 2xtreme wrote:
> > Subject: (RADIATOR) SQL problem hung radiator
> > I just got called to come in and fix what ever was wrong with our
> > systems.  Our staff couldn't get into the platypus database, but the
> > server was up.  At the same time, radiator was too down.  I restarted it
> > many times, but it did not want to auth anybody.  Once I commented
> > out any database references (SessionDatabase, AuthBy EMERALD,
> > ect...)in the config file, it ran fine off of the flat file.  Now that the
> > database is up, I uncommented those database references and things
> > are back to normal.  Of course it would be helpful to have the trace 4 or
> > strace output when this is going on, however, I was in a 'bit of a rush to
> > get the systems up and going again as this affected all staff and all
> > customers at the same time.  Any idea what could have happened?
>
> No, thats quite baffling. As you say, without a log file, it very hard to tell.
> I suspect that the SQL server was in some wierd state that prevented Radiator
> connecting to it properly, and causing it to IGNORE all requests.

I'd say that was true as our staff could not get their platypus program to
connect to the SQL and the enterprise manager just sat trying to
connect to the SQL when I tried to restart the service.  I ended up
rebooting the machine to cure the problem.

> > It
> > might also be good if someone had a good watchdog application that
> > they wrote that would gather the debug information and log it to a file in
> > the event that there is a failure of some sort.  That way, nobody has to
> > suffer more than necessary to get that debug information.
> Thats sonething that we intend to have in the new server-manager program that
> is next on the agenda. You will be able to attach to a running server with a
> gui, turn up the trace level and see the output on the manager gui.
>
> Sorry I cant be of more assistance.
> The only thing I might suggest is upgrading MS-SQL to SP3 (if its not here
> already)

Once the box had rebooted and things were back to normal, we began
to get "Protocol error in TDS stream" SQL errors on our platypus
program.  I found in the Microsoft knowledge base that this had been
fixed with a service pack.  I then installed service pack 5 for SQL server
which cured the problem.  Previously, I did not have any SQL service
packs loaded, just the NT4 service pack 4.  Things are going well again.
 You never know, maybe this will cure the problem where my radiator
hangs every few days.  I'll keep an eye on that.

John Kicklighter
Internet 2xtreme