On Jan 19, 10:13am, Hugh Irvine wrote:
> Subject: Re: (RADIATOR) Authentication over MS SQL 7.0
>
> Hello Fernando -
>
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Fernando Martin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think this questions is just very answered, but I need some information.
> >
> > Actually I have a NT 4.0 SP5 with Radiator 2.14.1 ( with patches 2.14.1)
> > running properly, but I autherticate with a flat file. because of I have
> > many users I need another way to do that, and I think MS SQL could be one
of
> > the best.
> >
> > I have read the manula pag 82, 107..and I know that:
> >
> > - I need to install DBI ( PPM>install DBI
> > - Then, search the right module/driver to connect database.
> > In my case I think I need ODBC because my MS SQL server is into another NT
> > server that Radiator. So PPM>install DBD-ODBC.
> >
> > Is it right? Is there another way better? May be mSQL? Why?
> > Is the ODBC conector stable?
> >
> > - I need to create the database into SQL server...
> > - I need to configure my radius.cfg to authenticate
> > and also create a System DSN into my Radiator server ( In my case
> > DSN=Radius)to connect database
> > <<Realm DEFAULT>
> >     PasswordLogFileName     %L/%d-%m-%y-password.log
> >     AuthByPolicy ContinueAlways
> >     <AuthBy SQL>
> >                 # Data to open database. DSN= radius
> >             DBSource dbi:ODBC:radius
> >                 DBUsername admrad  # login to connect
> >                 DBAuth  xxxx   # pass to connect
> > Is it all ok until this point?
> >
> >                 AuthSelect select PASSWORD from USERSDB where
> > USERNAME=´%n´
> >
> > I do not know what I need to put here ( select...) to authenticate properly
> > a user and also check his check items ( like Called-station-id, NAS-port,
> > Acct-Status-Type, etc) agains the SQL. I think I need to configure my
Radius
> > databese and table USERSDB with login, pass, and check items... How to do
> > that? Any example?
> >
> >             # This enables accounting
> >             AccountingTable ACCOUNTING
> >             AcctColumnDef   USERNAME,User-Name
> >             AcctColumnDef   TIME_STAMP,Timestamp,integer
> >             # etc....
> >     </AuthBy>
> >
> > </Realm>
> >

> You are definitely on the right track with everything you mention above. The
> best place to start with SQL is in the goodies directory included in the
> Radiator distribution. You will find example SQL table definitions, SQL table
> creation scripts, and SQL configuration files. You can use these exactly as
> they are, or you can use them as a base from which to add your own extra
> features. Also have a look at the radius.cfg file in the main Radiator
> directory to see a very detailed and documented configuration file which
> includes various SQL definitions.

Also, if you are on NT, wanting to talk to SQL on another NT, then DBD-ODBC is
the best way to go.

We usually prefer mysql to MS-SQL, but the ODBC connector to mysql on NT is
still not terribly stable when used with Perl, so probably MS-SQL is best for
you if you can afford it.

I sent some patches to the mysql ODBC connector authors, but I dont know if
they have been incorporated yet.

Cheers.