From:   Titik [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Tuesday, March 26, 2002 11:04 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        [RantauNet] Congratulate

Congratulate buek kamanakan Fendi Koto,
taruihkan usaho tu.

SBN

----- Original Message -----
From: "fendi KOTO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 3:51 PM
Subject: [RantauNet]

> Assalamu'alaikum
>
> Sanak rantaunet nan ambo hormati,
>
> Akhirnyo dari perjuangan panjang, PAN Indonesia dimano ambo bakarajo jo
> jaringannyo nan ado di 55 negara, berhasil mambatalkan paten perusahaan
kimia dan
> kosmetik Shieseido, dari Japang atas tanaman ubek-ubek asli Indonesia nan
> alah lamo digunokan urang-urang gaek awak saisuk.
>
> Labih jalehnyo, silakan di baco di Kompas hari ini.
>
> Wassalam
>
> fendi KOTO
> ----------
> Shiseido Canceled Biopatenting Indonesia's Spices
> PAN Indonesia still investigate another case; possible conflict with
> Malaysia
>

> Dear friends,
>
> Indonesia version, in the last section
>

> "Shiseido has been considered to be rather concientious company compared
> with others such as Amway, and it is first time that I have heard such
> biopyracy.  So, I do not have enough information to judge whether we
should fight
> against Shiseido or not.  Also, without proper information,I can not
arrange any
> lawyer for you," part of a Japenese NGO activists on 23 October 1999.
>
> "I was received your mail,but I'm sorry I'm not full understanding the
> matter.cause I'm not close the connection.and also I never product
cosmetic
> item.some thing wrong?," a replied from middle rank officer of JICA, Japan
> Inernational Cooperation Agency, in Indonesia 12 October 1999.
>
> Two statements above replied by Japanese to PAN Indonesia when received
> messages of campaign against biopiracy by Shiseido to several native
herbal crops
> with the Indonesian' names.
>
> Yesterday, as reported by Kompas, the biggest daily newspaper, that
Shiseido
> hase announced cancelation of biopatenting of the Indonesian spices. In
the
> last two and half years the Japanese cosmetics company has  received
> bombardment campaign messages from PAN Indonesia and other concern civil
society
> organisation. Let's see what the company will do in the very near future.
> Shiseido has got double patent protection both in JPO and EPO.
>
> rgds,
>
> Riza VT
>

> Shiseido Biopiracy to traditional herbal plants of Indonesia
>

> SHISEIDO
>

> Feature article: BIO_PIRACY/LIZ SHERIDAN
>
> in healthyoptiops magazine New Zealands
>

>      In our post-modern, North-South economically divided world, treasures
> still exist. Since ancient times Indonesian Emperors employed traditional
Jamu
> [...]
times, when it
> was finally released for public sale.*1
>
>      Now Jamu is under threat ... and Pesticide Action Network*2
researcher,
> Riza Tjahjadi explains that the Shiseido Corporation of Japan,*3 cosmetic
> and skincare Trans National Corporation (TNC) has patented eleven
traditional
> Jamu healing herbs. Since 1989 (it should be 1999, RVT) they are
> double-patented in both Japan and Europe, reports Mr Tjahjadi. It is not
the herbs
> themselves that have been patented but chemical compounds within the
herbs, rare
> compounds unique to traditional Jamu, which effect skin-whitening, hair
> restoration and skin rejuvenation.
>
>      Every time shoppers purchase skin-whitening products from Shiseido's
> `UV White Range', or the Skin-Whitening Formula priced at circa $150 for a
50ml
> pot, we are unwittingly supporting Shiseido's corporate theft.
>
>      `This bio-piracy by Shiseido means they've stolen what belonged to
our
> traditional healers, stolen our farmers knowledge, their seeds and
systems.'
> says Mr Tjahjadi who is lobbying for protective and preventative
legislation
> and insists that, `We would like to educate our farmers about their
rights,
> and their ownership rights of their traditional crops. We call farmers
crops
> our `traditional seeds', we say these are `community intellectual rights'
..
> and we would like to have protection for our property against such
> bio-piracy.'
>
>      Fact is that the world's small farmers and poorest most populous
> nations don't have the mega-buck muscle to pay for patent rights. Probably
they
> never felt compelled to patent indigenous varieties, because small farmers
such
> as Jamu herb growers in Indonesia are, `stewards of the earth' and believe
> they own the seeds and plants anyway. The last thing such a small farmer
would
> choose would be to prove that seeds and agricultural systems, inherited
down
> the generations, are his intellectual property. In the light of all the
> patenting and bureaucratic jargon we must ask, why has protecting our
farmers'
> traditional `intellectual property rights' (IPR's) become so
controversial?

>      Controversy surrounds all traditional ownership currently because
> ordinary people have become players in a global biotech battle. The stakes
are
> very high, indeed the prize is our natural heritage thinly disguised as a
> genetic commodity by TNC's and the World Trade Organisation (WTO). Mr
Tjahjadi is
> in good company, his grievances are the same as those that fuelled the
Seattle
> protest when 40,000 people rallied against WTO policies in 1999. In Prague
> last year 15,000 protesters again marched against WTO policies.*4 The WTO
is
> targeted because of the   sinister role it plays in assisting TNC's to
steal
> with impunity. Protesters fear however, that it could soon be too late for
> direct action......
>
>      The WTO was inaugurated in 1995. With international headquarters in
> Geneva, Switzerland and a staff of 550 they, `administer and enforce more
than
> 20 international agreements, resolve trade disputes between states and
provide
> a forum for global trade negotiations.'*5 One of these international
> agreements is the, `trade related intellectual property rights,' or TRIPS
council.
> The TRIPS legislation is vehemently disputed because its article 27.3,
allows
> patenting of life-forms, plants and micro-organisms, and micro-biological
> materials.*6,7
>
>      But first let's look at how the TRIPS legislation can theoretically
> benefit TNC's. Simplifying a complex procedure such as genetic
modification (GM)
> we could say that bio-chemists normally splice a `sticky end' (a grouping
of
> molecular material including a virus) into an original cell, grow a GM
> variety of the original, then submit patenting applications as if a new
`life
> form' was created. After which they market it globally as if it belonged
to them,
> and WTO protects their business interests through the TRIPS legslation.
> Simple sticky ends.......
>
>      It is clear that most of WTO's 135 member nations joined in order to
> protect their national economic interests against various aspects of
economic
> fascism. WTO's role is that of power-broker in an unelected world
government
> intent on protecting the corporate/elitist agendas and business interests
of
> the New World Order (NWO). NWO comprises WTO, the World Bank, United
Nations,
> International Monetary Fund, the Business Roundtable, Club of Rome and a
> massive web of various interlinked but unelected organisations (including
> recently formed Food Authorities, Health Regulatory bodies, and soon the
WTO's
> `General Agreement on Trade in Services' (GATS) will mean that the world's
public
> services*8 will also be corporatised.)
>
>      Many of these organisations are partially funded by taxpayers money
or
> government grants, effectively taxpayers subsidize the unelected `shadow'
> world government, the NWO. Many business networks exist within the NWO
> infrastructure, such as those that legitimize the theft and confiscation
of global
> intellectual property rights (IPR).
>
>      In the Philippines the theft of Asian rice varieties is one aspect of
> bio-piracy being challenged by Lawyers, Benjamin Ramos Jr. and Mario
Denito.
> As Board Members of MASIPAG a Non Government Organisation (NGO) they
represent
> the interests of 900,000 farmers, farming families, scientists and other
> legal experts. MASIPAG like PAN is part of a larger grouping of NGO's in
the
> region and throughout the world fighting to protect local small farmers
rights.
> The stake are so high that all small farmers obviously need NGO assistance
> retain ownership of traditional systems, resources and traditional seed
> varieties.
>
>      According to Mr Ramos, `Half a million people signed a petition to
> register their solidarity against the patenting of life. We had a MASIPAG
> conference in February 1999 and presented that petition to the Department
of
> Agriculture and also the Department of Agrarian Reform.'
>
>      The biotech-TNC's would be well advised to listen to the opinions of
> both protesters and NGO representatives, but they are too busy reproducing
> themselves. SYNGENTA the world's biggest biotech-TNC was created when
NOVARTIS
> and ZENECA merged on 10th October 1999 in Basel, Switzerland, (with
European
> Union permission). They plan to integrate seed corporations into their
`life
> sciences' division, chemical divisions into a `crop protection' group, and
> also operate pharmaceutical `healthcare' corporations. They hope to
re-invent
> new forms of pharmaceuticals and are `moving from the seed business to
food and
> pharma'*9. AVENTIS is the second largest biotech-TNC, and now MONSANTO,
> until recently bio-tech market leader, is third largest.
>
>      According to Bill Wadsworth, Technical Director of Iceland Food PLC
> (UK) itself a corporation manufacturing and retailing food, every biotech
> market-leader is vying to be the first to `spin' protein in laboratories
within ten
> years, then to market laboratory-food globally. These corporations will
make
> their true GM business agenda known to the public slowly and deliberately.
> They might even engineer a few major global food disasters so,
> `standard-equivalent,*10 safe and nutritionally excellent GM lab-food'
will be welcomed
> into a currently GM wary market to ease shortages.
>
>      We must never forget the biotech-TNC's gruesome past. As the world's
> chemical giants they sprayed agri-chemicals into soil and food-chain,
forcing
> it down our throats for the past fifty years.*11 Although patenting and GM
is
> the second wave, the first wave of chemical madness still severely
chemically
> poisons 3million people annually, and more than 20,000 of those may die*12
> Great advertising for such a dedicated good-news industry! For example
rural
> suicide is a plague in countries like Sri Lanka where impoverished rice
> farmers often use chemicals to poison themselves, their debt/desperation
cycle
> often caused, ironically by chemical farming.*13
>
>      In the past five decades the world's traditional organic agricultural
> systems were supposedly `upgraded', but really they were usurped by greedy
> multi-national chemical companies interested in profit. This `industrial
> advancement' meant reliance on agri-chemicals and artificial chemical
fertilizer
> inputs, which were of course `safe and effective'. These were essential to
> maintain newly-introduced broad-acre farming systems, producing so-called
> `conventional' food which Joe Public was assured would be safe and, `feed
the world.'
> Today's GM-marketing uses the same cynical `feed the world' slogan, and
> biotech-TNC's re-assure public of `safety' and `benefits'.......
>
>      TNC-biotechs may be challenged to win the lab-food race but in
Southern
> lands the unrelenting legal battle to save many varieties of indigenous
> plants continues. Rice is the staple diet for over half the world's
population
> and also under greatest threat from patenting and GM.
>
>      According to MASIPAG researchers approximately 160 bio-tech patents
are
> owned by TNC's, and 13 bio-tech corporations also hold most of the patents
> on rice. Since May 2000, according to MASIPAGO the International Rice
Research
> Institute funded a project to grow a trial crop of "BB rice" so-called
> because it is genetically engineered to resist bacterial blight.  MASIPAG
opposed
> the project and Mr Ramos explains that BB rice will inevitably contaminate
> other rice varieties. There should, he insists, be a minimum ten year
> moratorium on GE because it endangers existing crops and food security.
>
>      Amongst the bleak `sticky ends' of GM there is some good news for
> Indian Basmati Rice growers, reported in the Hindustan Times, New Delhi,
India on
> September 27th 2000:
>
>      `In a major success for India's effort to retain its commercial
> interest on Basmati rice exports, Ricetec Inc, a Texas-based US company,
which had
> obtained a patent for `Basmati rice lines and grains', has been forced to
> withdraw certain claims in its US patent.'.....`Ricetec Inc has now
withdrawn the
> claims, which could have adversely affected the commercial interests of
> Basmati rice exporters.'
>
>      And Mr Tjahjadi adds, `Bio-piracy is already happening everywhere,
not
> just here .... why should we have to pay for using our own traditional
> herbs?' Southern and indigenous groups, he hopes, will be able to defend
themselves
> against bio-piracy and GM. But on the other hand TNC's would not feed the
> world; bring safe food to the marketplace; pay restitution for reducing
> bio-diversity and fertility by 50%;*14 or compensate poisoned people's
families or
> infertile couples. That is why billions of global citizens care about the
> ravages of bio-piracy and the TRIPS legislation, and some are brave enough
> mobilise against economic fascism.
>
> rgds,
>
> Riza V. Tjahjadi
> PAN Indonesia
> Jl. Persada Raya No. 1 Menteng Dalam
> Jakarta 12870 Indonesia

> No Patent No Cure No Patent No Beauty
> No Patent No Food
> They claimed
> We fight for
> Farmers' Rights, and Community Intellectual
> Rights

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////////////////////
////

> "The government will support people's initiative against biopiracy. I and
> the minister on  research and technology have also already discussed about
> issue of biopiracy, " said the  director general of Intellectual Property
Rights,
> Zen Umar Purba, as response to PAN Indonesia, when asked the  government
> position to biopiracy, at terrace of Acacia Hotel after his  presentation
in the
> ASEAN Workshop on the TRIPS Agreement and Traditional Medicine13 February
> 2001, Jakarta.
>
> However, PAN Indonesia insisted that the government should responsible and
> taking care the issue at court
> level.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////////////////////
/

> [...]
same property
> patented by Shiseido).
>
> EPO (European Patent Office) also issued similar patent for Shiseido, more
> complete with patent holder:
>
> Here are the European patents for your information.... (I only included
the
> first page and the claims. The description of the field of invention is
quite
> long. Just tell me if you want it to be sent also).
>
> SCALP CARE COMPOSITIONS
>
> Patent Number: EP0914816
> Publication date: 1999-05-12
> Inventor(s): IDETA RITSURO (JP); IFUKU OHJI (JP); KOJIMA NAO (JP);
> MORIYA YOSHIKI (JP); SHIBATA YUKI (JP); SOMA TSUTOMU (JP); TSUJI
> YOSHIHARU (JP)
>
> Applicant(s): SHISEIDO CO LTD (JP)
>
> Requested Patent: WO9852516
>
> Application Number: EP19980919625 19980515
>
> Priority Number(s): WO1998JP02162 19980515; JP19970144704 19970519;
> JP19970207246 19970716; JP19970207248 19970716; JP19970268070 19970912;
> JP19970322093 19971107
>
> Abstract
> A composition for use on the scalp, a composition for promoting tyrosinase
> activity, and a composition for preventing gray hair which
characteristically
> contain extracts from various plants. The composition for use on the scalp
of
> the present invention can effectively prevent dandruff and is safe. Also,
> the composition for use on the scalp of the present invention is
particularly
> effective in preventing and treating dandruff which is generated due to
scalp
> stimulation by surfactants such as shampoos, rinses, etc. It also is
highly
> effective at preventing scalp itching. Also, the present invention
provides a
> composition with a superior tyrosinase activity promoting action and gray
> hair prevention action.
>
> Claims
>
> 1. A composition for use on the scalp which characteristically contains
one
> or more types of extracts chosen from among extracts of the following
plants.
> (1) Kayu rapet (scientific name: Parameria laevigata)
> (2) Kemukus (scientific name: Piper cubeba)
> (3) Tempuyung (scientific name: Sonchus arvensis L.)
> (4) Belantas (scientific name: Pluchea indica L.)
> (5) Mesoyi (scientific name: Massoia aromatica Becc.)
> (6) Pule (scientific name: Alstonia scholaris)
> (7) Pulowaras (scientific name: Alycia reindwartii BI.)
> (8) Sintok (scientific name: Cinnamomum sintoc BI.)
>
> 2. The composition for use on the scalp of claim 1 wherein the blend ratio
> of the plant extract is 0.001-10.0 wt%.
>
> 3. A composition for use on the scalp which contains as an effective
> ingredient an extract from a plant of the Apocynaceae family, genus
Parameria.

> 4. The composition for use on the scalp of claim 3 wherein the plant of
> genus Parameria is Parameria laevigata (Kayu rapet).
>
> 5. A composition for promoting tyrosinase activity which contains as an
> effective ingredient an extract from a plant of the Apocynaceae family,
genus
> Parameria.
>
> 6. The composition for promoting tyrosinase activity of claim 5 wherein
the
> plant of genus Parameria is Parameria laevigata (Kayu rapet).
>
> 7. A composition for preventing gray hair which contains as an effective
> ingredient an extract from a plant of the Apocynaceae family, genus
Parameria.

> 8. The composition for preventing gray hair of claim 7 wherein the plant
of
> genus Parameria is Parameria laevigata (Kayu rapet).
>
> 9. A composition for use of the scalp which contains as an effective
> ingredient a plant extract wherein the effective ingredient is at least
one type of
> extract derived from a plant of a genus chosen from a group consisting of
the
> Ericaceae family, genus Arctostaphylos, the Chenopodiaceae family, genus
> Chenopodium and genus Poterium and the Ericaceae family, genus Gautheria.
>
> 10. The composition for use of the scalp of claim 9 wherein the plant of
the
> Ericaceae family, genus Arctostaphylos, is Pinguica (scientific name:
> Chenopodium Ambrosioides L.); the plant of the Chenopodiaceae family,
genus
> Chenopodium, is Aritaso (in Japanese; scientific name: Chenopodium
Ambrosioides L.);
> the plant of genus Poterium is Zapote (scientific name: Poterium Zapote);
> and the plant of the Ericaceae family, genus Gautheria, is Axcopaque
> (scientific name: Gautheria Acuminata).
>
> 11. A composition for promoting tyrosinase activity which contains as an
> effective ingredient a plant extract wherein the effective ingredient is
at
> least one type of extract derived from a plant of a genus chosen from a
group
> consisting of the Ericaceae family, genus Arctostaphylos, the
Chenopodiaceae
> family, genus Chenopodium and genus Poterium and the Ericaceae family,
genus
> Gautheria.
>
> 12. A composition for preventing gray hair which contains as an effective
> ingredient a plant extract wherein the effective ingredient is at least
one
> type of extract derived from a plant of a genus chosen from a group
consisting
> of the Ericaceae family, genus Arctostaphylos, the Chenopodiaceae family,
> genus Chenopodium and genus Poterium and the Ericaceae family, genus
Gautheria.

> 13. The composition of claim 11 wherein the plant of the Ericaceae family,
> genus Arctostaphylos, is Pinguica (scientific name: Chenopodium
Ambrosioides
> L.); the plant of the Chenopodiaceae family, genus Chenopodium, is Aritaso
(in
> Japanese; scientific name: Chenopodium Ambrosioides L.); the plant of
genus
> Poterium is Zapote (scientific name: Poterium Zapote); and the plant of
the
> Ericaceae family, genus Gautheria, is Axcopaque (scientific name:
Gautheria
> Acuminata).
>
> 14. The composition of claim 12 wherein the plant of the Ericaceae family,
> genus Arctostaphylos, is Pinguica (scientific name: Chenopodium
Ambrosioides
> L.); the plant of the Chenopodiaceae family, genus Chenopodium, is Aritaso
(in
> Japanese; scientific name: Chenopodium Ambrosioides L.); the plant of
genus
> Poterium is Zapote (scientific name: Poterium Zapote); and the plant of
the
> Ericaceae family, genus Gautheria, is Axcopaque (scientific name:
Gautheria
> Acuminata).
>
> 15. A composition for use on the scalp which characteristically contains
as
> an effective ingredient an extract from guaco misto (scientific name:
Mykania
> Glomerata) of the Compositae family, genus Mykania.
>
> 16. A composition for promoting tyrosinase activity which contains as an
> effective ingredient a plant extract wherein the effective ingredient is
an
> extract from guaco misto (scientific name: Mykania Glomerata) of the
Compositae
> family, genus Mykania.
>
> 17. A composition for preventing gray hair which contains as an effective
> ingredient a plant extract wherein the effective ingredient is an extract
>from
> guaco misto (scientific name: Mykania Glomerata) of the Compositae family,
> genus Mykania.
>
> 18. A composition for use on the scalp which characteristically contains
as
> an effective ingredient a Japanese pepper extract.
>
> 19. A tyrosinase activity promoting agent which contains as an effective
> ingredient a Japanese pepper extract.
>
> 20. The tyrosinase activity promoting agent of claim 19 wherein the
> tyrosinase activity promoting agent is a gray hair prevention agent.
>
> Data supplied from the esp@cenet database - l2
>
> You can also contact:
> European Patent Office
> Enlarged Board of Appeal
> concerning  T1054/96 and T 356/93
> 80298 München Germany
> Fax: (49-89) 23 99 45 60
>
> Implications:
> Some are directly referred to be used as folk medicines (traditionally
known
> as "jamu"). Products have been developed, for example Shiseido Fine
Toiletry
> in 1998 launched a new facial cleansing soap called "Rajam" which has been
> developed based on jamu folk medicine in Bali island. It contains "Jamu"
made
> by compounding Asian herbs.
>
> How will it impact the economy?
> In global terms, the estimated market for traditional remedies is at US$2
> bil, with Japan accounting for sales of US$920 mil and China US$500 mil.
The
> market for Indonesian traditional remedies, locally known as jamu is
estimated
> at US$150 mil  (1992) of which 20% is for premium-priced products.
Indonesian
> herbal medicine exports totaled 2,393 tons valued at US$29 mil in 1997, vs
> 4,903 tons in 1996, and 1,800 tons valued at US$21.9 mil in 1994 where the
top
> importer continues is Saudi Arabia.
>
> Will it impact on small peoples' livelihood?
> Thousands of Banyumas residents in Central Java, as one of illustrations,
> depend on the jamu industry for their livelihood. Currently, rough
estimation,
> at least 6,000 people are employed by about 400 jamu enterprises in
Cilacap
> and Banyumas. Again, this one of examples.
>
> In Central Java as centre of jamu industry, as reported by Bisnis
Indonesia
> (24 January 2001).  officially recorded around 95 enterprises, but in real
> activities only 50 enterprises. By classification, there are 6 big
companies,
> with 7 medium enterprises, small scale 78, and simplisia 2 companies; all
> locates in Semarang, Kedu,  Surakarta, Pati, Tegal Cilacap and Kedu.
>
> How will it impact on long held culture?
> Herbal medicine had been used since the ancient time and continues to be
> consumed by people of different level; lower, middle and upper, in the
villages
> and in the big cities. One could buy easily ready made jamu packed
modernly
> in the form of powder, pills, capsules, drinking liquid and ointments.
There
> [...]
> resources and knowledge disrupts the traditional medical systems in place.
> Plants and even jamu formulations have been collected, knowledge have been
> extracted and patented for the benefit of a few stockholders and later on
> further worked on and sold to those able to pay the price. In spite of the
> availability of modern medicine, still more than 70% of Indonesian people
depend
> heavily on jamu. Presently, it plays an important component of Indonesia's
> national health care system. It also plays a major role in the economy,
creating
> job opportunities especially in the rural areas, especially during the
multi
> dimensional crisis since July 1997.
>    (foresee to be the possible impact on the health care system, figured
out
> whether they collected materials from Indonesia and whether they did it in
> compliance with CBD i.e. prior informed consent and benefit sharing)
>
> Additional info:
> Classification according IUCN in Rifai 1983, divided into five category:
> Extinct, Endangered, Vulnerable, Rare, Indeterminate.
> Sintox (cinnamomum sintox), for example, was classified rare in 1990
> (Sudiarto, 1990). Other plants are examining.
>
> Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS)
>
> Article 27: Patentable Subject Matter
> 3. Members may also exclude from patentability: (b) plants and animals
other
> than micro-organisms, and essentially biological processes for the
> production of plants or animals other than non-biological and
microbiological
> processes. However, Members shall provide for the protection of plant
varieties
> either by patents or by an effective sui generis system or by any
combination
> thereof. The provisions of this subparagraph shall be reviewed four years
after
> the date of entry into force of the WTO Agreement.
>
> There are extraordinary problems with Article 27.3(b) of the TRIPS
> Agreement:
>
> · No parameters for what a 'sui generis' system can amount to.
> · No parameters for what is 'effective'.
> · Many WTO members have expressed their view that genes and
microbiological
> processes are not inventions and therefore are not patentable subject
matter.
> · With its lack of any benefit-sharing mechanism, TRIPS offers no remedy
for
> the ongoing wave of biopiracy and is perceived as exacerbating the
problem.
> · There is a bias ingrained in TRIPS to protect breeders and
> biotechnologists at the expense of farmers and local communities.
> · Many countries perceive a conflict between TRIPS and the rights and
> obligations countries previously acquired under the Convention on
Biological
> Diversity (CBD).

> Riza V. Tjahjadi
> PAN Indonesia
> Jl. Persada Raya No. 1 Menteng Dalam Jakarta 12870 Indonesia
> Telp & fax: (021) 8296545; e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> No Patent No Beauty No Patent No Food
> They claimed
> WE fight for
> Community Rights
> and Farmers Rights
>

> Indonesia version:
>

> S H I S E I D O
> Pembajak Hayati tanaman indonesia,  . . . Boikot . . !
>

> Berbagai jenis tanaman yang dikenal sebagai bahan obat dan rempah-rempah
> sejak nenek-moyang kita, diam-diam telah dipatenkan oleh perusahaan
kosmetika
> terkenal dari Jepang  Shiseido. Tercatat 9 buah paten. Lihat nomor paten
dan
> tanggal, serta judulnya, yaitu:
>
> JP10316541 ¤ 98-12-02  Composition for head (perawatan kepala)
> JP10045555 ¤ 98-02-17  external preparation for skin (perawatan kulit)
> JP10029927 ¤ 98-02-03  anti-aging agent (obat awet muda)
> JP10029928 ¤ 98-02-03  skin preparation for external use (perawatan kulit)
> JP10029924 ¤ 98-02-03  antiaging agent (obat awet muda)
> JP10029923 ¤ 98-02-03  antiaging agent (i d e m)
> JP10007535 ¤ 98-01-13  preparation for external use for skin (perawatan
> kulit)
> JP10007535 ¤ 98-01-13  hair tonic (tonik rambut)
> JP9095420   ¤ 97-04-08  preparation for external use for skin (perawatan
> kulit).
>   Pematenan semacam ini dikenal sebagai pembajakan hayati milik rakyat
> Indonesia. Dewasa ini PAN Indonesia tengah menanyakan kepada Shiseido, apa
cakupan
> paten itu, apa dampaknya bagi rakyat Indonesia, dan sebagainya. Celaka,
> sungguh, jika bangsa Indonesia harus minta ijin lebih dahulu, jika ingin
memakai
> tanaman - yang mungkin sudah lama ada di pekarangan kita - ke Jepang. Atau
> membayar royalti ke Jepang, jika misalnya, anda meracik ramuan paten
Shiseido