Hi Michael,

To answser your question, I guess it would be possible to migrate a subset
of the StyledText widget API. Of course, providing the exact public API,
based on RAP, will open up the way to integrate various SWT components,
including many of the text editors we use today in RCP. The idea is
pleasant, but (i) the challenge is high, and (ii) it has to take into
account the specificity of client/server interactions.

(i) As you may have probably noticed, the current widget is based on an
integration with Cloud9 ACE editor, therefore, mapping the Java API to the
JavaScript API of ACE would be the way to go. How far can we go in this
direction is constrained by the level of detail of the ACE API. That said,
the granularity of the ACE API [1] is high enough to make it happen; it
would be possible to map the the majority of the public methods and
synchronize/notify the backend following the RAP interaction model.

(ii) However, because we are in a client/server interaction model, one
should be aware of performance and scalability: for example, notifying back
the server at each fine-grained-user-interaction with the widget will
certainly overhead the network traffic.

I think a balanced approach is preferred by far, i.e. splitting the
processing between the client and the server would be much more efficient.
The consequence of this approach is that third party SWT components which
rely on non-migrated methods won't work out-of-the-box. In this scenario,
integrating these SWT components would be done on a case-by-case basis.

Regards,
Amine

[1] https://ace.c9.io/#nav=api

Amine Lajmi, PhD