Hi Kevin,

On 05/17/2018 04:29 PM, Kevin Golding wrote:
Hello,

Am just getting my head around RAUC, and wondered if I'm right in thinking that
a rescue system is not included with RAUC? i.e. I would need to find or create
a small bootable rescue system that would run the RAUC update command say via
say from a file on a USB stick?

conceptually RAUC is a generic update framework that can run on your Linux
device and handle safe and atomic updates of partitions etc.
It does neither provide any ready-to-use distribution nor depend on any
specific.

Thus building a system is always a task that should be solved outside of an
update tool. With OE/Yocto, PTXdist and buildroot good build system exists for
this that allow you to generate well defined customized systems in versioned
and reproducible manner.

RAUC also does not depend on any specific source for its update artifacts.
Neither on the production system nor on any rescue system. You can fetch your
update from USB / network / storage media or whatever fits your concept or
platform.

Nevertheless, conceptually a rescue system is surely supported. A slot
configuration for your rescue system (and the default ones, too) would look like

  [slot.rootfs.0]
  device=/dev/mmcblk0p1

  [slot.rootfs.1]
  device=/dev/mmcblk0p1

  [slot.rescue.0]
  device=/dev/sda1

This would allow detecting RAUC that it is not running from one of the normal
rootfs partitions but from the rescue partition instead and that it can safely
upate the others.

If I am right, are there any examples of a rescue system available?

No. A rescue system can be as small as only a minimal kernel+initramfs+dtb with
RAUC binary + dependencies which will result in a few kB. Most of the build
systems above provide a minimal rootfs configuration that you can simply extend
with RAUC.

https://rauc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/integration.html

Did that roughly point you in the right direction?

Best regards, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico J├Ârns                |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5080 |