That VO stem isn't half bad.  As a rider that can never make up his
mind about bar setups the removable faceplate does offer a lot. But I
agree the selection of good looking threadless stems is fairly poor.
I've got a half tig, half lugged one from RBW like the one Jim linked
to.  It gets a lot of woos and ahs but mostly from non-Bobs.
Aesthetically I agree you can't hardly beat a Nitto.

It seems to me the head tube size really did in the threaded stem
scene. They might exist, but I've not seen many threaded 1.125" stems.
They've got to be a bunch heavier.

One advantage to production of bikes with threadless headset/stems
I've not seen pointed out here is the lack of steerer threading - some
thing I would consider a machine shop procedure that can't be easily
accomplished by semi-skilled bike assemblers.  Then there's the issue
of length of the threads on a steerer of given length. How many
spacers will be used?  It just becomes all to comlicated for the mass
marketed, mass produced segment of the bike industry. Something most
of us don't come in contact with.

On Dec 23, 3:42 pm, "PATRICK MOORE" <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No!!! I don't want steerer sticking up above my stem!!! Abominable! Won't do
> it!!!

Oh, come on Patrick, it gives you someplace to hang your hat. (smirk)

Phil B