On Jan 14, 12:47 am, "J L" <subfas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Saluki has been seeing more action on the trails than the pavement,
> enough so that I am considering some minor setup changes to better function
> on the trails. The bikes is currently setup as a rack laden commuter. Is
> there any disadvantage to metal fenders in this situation?  Any other setup
> tips?

That depends on:

How technical the trails are that you're riding, and;

What percentage of riding time the Saluki is actually off-road.

The primary concern of using fenders on off-road trails is being
thrown over the bars when a stick catches your fender stays or an
object funnels up into the fork crown.

Secondary concerns are bending/breaking the fenders on drops, rattling
noise from twigs/stones making their way through and mud piling up in
the fender and dragging on your tire.

That said, I ride my fendered Saluki on as many jeep trails that my
friends and I can find here in Vermont.  But, if I mostly rode my
Saluki on technical, singletrack trails, I'd remove the fenders,
provided I had another nice bike with fenders on it.

John McMurry
Burlington, VT