this has also happened to me.  twice.

first time, i thought maybe the bb shell wasn't properly machined, so
I had the threads chased and made sure that would no longer be an
issue.

the second time I detected premature wear (same bike/bb shell), the
advice I got regarding installation was to tighten the cups down as
one normally would, then back them off 1/8 of a turn - this kind of
confirms Jim's suspicion about a "too tight" installation.

in any event, there's no doubt that they are great bb's when installed
just right.  but it has to be *just* right.