If you guy's have a evening or two to spare check out Jobst Brandt's
great photos from 40 years of touring the alps.
http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_the_Alps/Gallery/
It's a bit hard to tell but it seem his friend Bill Robertson has a
nifty diy bag stand off that connects to the seat clamp:
http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos/i41.html
http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos/f27.html

Anyone could fill me in on the details of his gizmo cuz I've been
wondering for years?