Perhaps slightly off-topic, but I seek the collective wisdom of the
group.

I have two female friends who want to get into cycling. They are both
fairly athletic and are looking for a sporty sort of bike that they
can use on club rides. Neither has the cash for a Roadeo, assuming
they could even fit one (at 5'1" and 5'3" they are both probably too
short anyway).

Obviously, they're looking into off-the-peg women's-specific bike by
the big makers (Trek, Specialized, etc.).

But if I wanted to steer them towards a steel bike with at least the
possibility of taking some Rol-y Pol-y tires, where might I look for
something easy on the pocketbook (and largely off-the-peg) without
going custom like Luna Cycles?

Also, can anyone offer any sizing tips for women for women of their
stature, assuming they want something of a sporty fit with bars at or
just below saddle height?

Thanks,
Aaron