Bobby,
It's all about simplicity.  I used to ride a bike with all the different
gears, a Garmin GPS to track my mileage and speed, a cadence meter, etc.  I
just got sick of all that extra stuff.  On my new bike, I originally had
the double chainrings, but I was never using the big ring, so it made sense
to ditch it and go for the 1x8 setup; easier to keep clean, less to think
about while riding.  Even now I hardly ever spend any time in the small
cogs, so I'm not cross-chaining for a large % of my riding time.  If I
lived in area that was flatter, I'd like to go with a single-speed, but
alas, I need some gears for the hills.