Dave's joke was the claim that Riv has done extensive testing to prove
decidedly that the Roll-y Poll-y is the fastest and most comfortable tire
available on the internet.  That was a joke.  Riv doesn't care about
rolldown tests and statistical analysis.  They ride what they make and they
make stuff that they like riding.  It was a tongue in cheek comment from
Dave.  The subtext is that they think the handwringing and nitpicking over
the tiny minutia of tires might take peoples attention from what is fun
about cycling.

Ron's joke was that there is nothing empirical in cycling.  As a scientist,
Ron was obviously joking.  "Emprical" means you use your senses to
experience the thing, and then let those sensed observations tell you what
is true or what is not.  Clearly Ron is an empiricist when it comes to
cycling.  He feels things for himself and he makes his decisions based on
his experiences.

The opposite of empirical is theoretical.  Some people determine truth
purely with reason.  Obviously Ron does not think that we can just use our
reason to sit and think about cycling and derive the optimum bike, or ride,
or tire purely from first principals.  That's absurd, and that's why Ron's
comment about "nothing empirical in cycling" was a joke.