I used both SKS and Planet Bike Cascadias, both 60 mm, off road, and
neither set ratted except perhaps a very little bit on washboard.

IME, the source of rattling is fender contact under the crown or, for the
rear, with the seat stays.

The front SKS and PB fenders were attached by brackets to crown bolts and
there was a gap between top of fender and bottom of crown -- no contact.

The rears: I truncated the rears so that they ended just aft of my
saddlebag and there was far less mass to "wag" the fender. (I did this for
reasons of convenience, not to stop rattling, but it accomplished that,
too.) With the SKS's the rear struts extended from the truncated rear end
almost vertically to the dropout; with the PBs, I forwent struts and simply
zip tied the fender to the rear rack.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Nanga Parbat <nangapa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello RBW OB,
> I'm using a late 80's / early 90's Specialized mountain bike with Velo
> Orange steel fenders, that were on the bike. Even with the leather washers
> the fenders still rattle on trails. Is anyone using fenders for moderate
> off roading? Should I try the SKS fenders?
> Cheers,
> Scott

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis