There's no perfect formula to know when you've trained enough to meet your
next goal. However, the 200-300-400-600 progression is a really good guide
in my experience. Do you need to fill the 400-600 gap with a 500k? No, I
really don't think so.

I'd like to believe:
if you can ride a 100k, you can ride a 200k
if you can ride a 200k, you can ride a 300k
if you can ride a 300k, you can ride a 400k
if you can ride a 400k, you can ride a 600k
if you can ride a 600k, you can ride a 1200k

after all, isn't one of the greatest barriers to our own accomplishments
what *we believe we can do?*

when I started doing brevets, the closest brevets were a minimum of 3-4
hours away. I did my first 400k before ever doing a 300k but I had been
training and doing many 100mile+ rides in the mountains which added a
considerable amount of difficulty. So you see, i was convinced that my
mountainous 200k's had adequately prepared me for a flat/rolling 400k. and
it did. i think largely, because i believed it would.

once you get on the other side of your first complete brevet series, your
conception of what you can accomplish on a bicycle will be drastically
different. mine was.

200s and 300s are a fair bit easier because you don't have to worry about
the sleep monster.
400s - the sleep monster begin to rear it's ugly head at times.
600s - the sleep monster cometh

however, i'd rather ride a 600 any day than a 400 for some reason. 400's
are just my tough spot. something about getting to the bed for a brief nap
before riding the last 200k on a 600k is far more enticing than just
finishing a 400k.

i did my first few years of brevets + my first 1000k on my Romulus.

see you in Paris!