On 06/04/2014 11:01 AM, Montclair BobbyB wrote:
+1 on the Gunks... Carriage trails in Minnewaska State Park are exceptional... The emerald green Minnewaska lake is breathtaking. Some of the best scenery on the East Coast, especially this time of year (when the Mt Laurel are in bloom) and again in the Fall (with spectacular foliage). The ride out to Awosting Lake from Minnewaska is a must... Pack your lunch, bring a bathing suit, camera, binoculars, etc... a fantastic day awaits you.

When I was in the Mid Hudson Bicycle Club in the 1970s we used to ride the carriage trails in Minnewaska, on our road bikes w/27 x 1 1/4" tires. When we hosted GEAR 1974 we included not only rides that climbed the Gunks, but also a ride on the carriage trails.