Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Montclair BobbyB <montclairbob...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> But I seem to be hearing of more people trying to "get along *without* a
> front derailleur" as if it's like giving up gluten or dairy (simply because
> they're hearing from others there may be benefit to it).   Is this more
> fashion than function?  out <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

I am interested in the concept but I don't think it's fully baked at this
point in time if people are having the chain jump off when they are using
the gears at the edge of the cassettes.  I'd also like to use SRAM's setup
with the big 42 bailout gear in the back if I were to have no shifting in
the front.

Heck, I'm running a triple now on all my bikes though, I think going to a
wide range double would probably be something I would want to try first
before going to a wide-er single.  With my triple I tend to shift multiple
gears on the back cluster pretty often, making me think that I could easily
handle a wider range casette in the back, and also only two ranges in the
front.

But cranksets aren't free, so for now I am sticking with what I've got as
it works well enough.  Only real problem is that the Riv tends to either
toss the chain off the top or the bottom, no matter what I do.  It's done
this with 4 different cranksets and many, many chains.  I think maybe it's
a function of the geometry of my extremely large bike, seat tube 69cm C-T
and TT 64CM.

--
Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!