"Chain is probably too long, but am too lazy to fix it"  - D'oh, thats the
sound of my hand smacking my forehead...I never adjusted my chain length
when I made the change...  chain falling off = chain to loose.  Thanks
Eric!  I'm going to give this a try this evening.  I did make it into work
with no chain issue though.

Patrick - Thank you for the links, the n-gear 'what-is' page in particular
makes alot of sense.

Chris, Benz, Matthew - Looks like I'm in good company with you all in your
use of 1xN for general commuting!  Either that N Stop or the third eye is
probably in my future.  I think I'm sold on the 1xN setup for myself.  In
fact I like it so much I may be going the same route on my wife's city bike
as well, she never uses the front shifter anyway but it does sometimes get
bumped.

I'll provide some pictures when I get my setup settled out.  Thanks
everyone!