Bikes like the RLT and others mentioned here make a lot of sense IMHO. I'm
doing RAGBRAI in July and on a internet forum I was reading, there was a
thread that essentially amounted to people wringing their hands about the
fact that a couple of stretches of gravel might occur on the route. I
refrained from responding, but my thought was that if they are that worried
about gravel, maybe they've got the wrong bike. These "road" bikes that
offer clearance for bigger tires, and are equipped to take fenders (and
racks?) don't give up much to a "racing" bike and are a lot more versatile.
I think I'm going to ride my Surly Straggler on RAGBRAI this year and I've
done two 100+ mile gravel grinders on it since May. I welcome a stretch or
two of gravel!

Shaun Meehan