I upgraded the shifters and brakes on my '96 Santana from Ultegra 600 STI
shifters with Erickson Gizmo and XT V-brakes with travel agent to Retro
Shift Audax and Paul's Mini Moto.  It was a huge improvement in both
shifting (friction) and braking.  I installed Shimano M-324 SPD pedals so
my wife could clip in and avoid loosing her pedals as we learned how to
work together.  She is a masher and I prefer to spin, so I do a lot of
shifting to help her pedal in circles instead of squares.  If we are still
speaking to each other after RAGBRAI, we are going to have to decide
whether we want to refurb the Santana or spec out a new one.