I have a big container of FL Wet, that's why I keep using it.  Trying to
get value for my money.  You're right though, I am probably not putting
enough on.  I've always gone on the light side for drivetrain cleanliness,
but that probably needs to be re-examined in light of what's happening with
the rust.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Cyclofiend Jim <cyclofi...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> You have to understand that I get this visceral reaction to anyone using
> WD40 on anything.... ;^)
>
> I'd probably amend your lube procedure to cover more links.  If you are
> just lubing 6-8 links, you are probably missing the majority of your
> drivetrain.  If you have enough humidity to get corrosion on  your chain
> (not the case in CA, except in winter or if you live in SF), you want a
> reasonably tenacious formula and it wouldn't hurt to leave a bit on the
> outside.  You might experiment with something other than FL Wet.  You might
> also experiment with lubing the night before you ride, then letting it get
> tacky overnight, then wiping lightly the next day - or just wiping up the
> drips.  As long as you are lubing the pivots and plates rather than the
> rollers, you shouldn't cause too much of an issue.  If you are getting
> surface rust on the rollers, that will probably disappear before you are up
> the street.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> - Jim

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!