I can't add a whole lot that Deacon Patrick didn't already say, but his
experience mirrors mine in a lot of ways. Except I have cut all refined sugar,
and that includes GU, Shotbloks, Gatorade, etc. fwiw, I just rode 95 miles
Sunday with nearly 8k elevation. Before the ride I had a bowl of steel cut
oatmeal and 2 scrambled eggs. What I took with me was about 8 dates, a small
bag of
Raw nut & dried fruit trail mix, and a pint of smoothie made with berries,
banana, protein powder and coconut milk. Liquid was water only, except for a
cup if coffee at about 60 miles.
I've been experimenting with this kind of ride diet and it seems to work well
for me. Hungry when I get home for sure, but not bonking. Post ride meal is
protein heavy (bunless burger or sausage or chicken) and a beer (there's the
carbs!) ymmv
Mike