If the issue is power, instead of centering, rubbing, noise or stability, I
would expect one of two causes.  First, it may be a mismatch with the
levers.  I found that the Shimano SIS levers did not work well with any
cantis.  They just pull too much cable to get a good grip.  Second, and
here I'm guessing a bit because I have no experience with the touring
cantis, only the noes, my intuition tells me I will get the most power when
the cable is 90 degrees from the arms.  On my neo retros that means I have
a very hi and long straddle cable. The touring cantis, at 45 degrees would
be much lower.  The Paul site says this:

"We recommend running the Touring Canti with a lower straddle wire to
maximize stopping power. Having the cable carrier between 1" inches and 2"
above the tire is a good range."

I suppose it could also be the pads or too little toe in that is
compromising the power.

I find setting up cantis is best with a lever that has a quick release, so
they can be set pretty close to the rim and still allow easy wire removal.
 The Cane Creek and Tektro levers work great with these brakes.  I also
like to have an adjustable barrel on the cable and a good quality hanger,
Paul's are nice to work with.  To adjust them I simply unhook the straddle
cable, put an allen wrench on the outside and move the 15mm adjusting bolt
to the desired tension in the return spring.  BTW, be careful when
installing the springs,  They go in one direction for cantis and the other
for Cps.  It's easy to get confused.

Hope this helps.

Michael